tom

newLISP v.9.9.5 on Linux

> (rest (rest (directory "test")))
("one" "two" "three")

newLISP v.9.9.5  64-bit on Linux

> (rest (rest (directory "test")))
("three" ".." "two")

Lutz

In my tests I cannot see a difference between 32bit and 64bit newLISP. Maybe you did not use the right makefile for the Linux configuration you are running? After building, run "make test" in the newlisp-x.x.x directory. It runs a comprehensive test.

tom

everything but this tested ok

>>>>> TESTING: ./newlisp FINISHED WITH ERRORS:

>>>> net-lookup failed nil
./newlisp qa-dictionary

Lutz

The test for 'net-lookup' checks it with 127.0.0.1 and "localhost". Perhaps localhost is not defined on that machine? Does it go through on the normal non-64Bit version?  Its difficult to analyze all this from a distance and without knowing further HW/SW details of that installaton. I suggest you use the normal 32Bit version of newLISP.

There are very, very few reasons to use a newLISP 64Bit version. Even on a 64Bit Linux you should normally compile newLISP as an 32Bit application using the makefile_linux64ILP32 to force an 32Bit applications interface on a 64Bit Linux.

tom

I'll go ahead and compile a 32-bit version, but in the meantime I tried something else with strange results.  On my 32-bit machine I used link.lsp to link a script.  worked fine.  I then moved the binary over to my 64-bit laptop, ran it, and got the same error I've described.  The newlisp linked to my script is 32-bit.  Fixing the script so that I works was no big deal, but It does seem like something funky is going on with the laptop...