newLISP should be FREE (like in "free beer")

Started by scratchy, August 14, 2004, 05:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratchy

Can anyone please explain, why would I use newLISP in my software (no matter how great it is) if I have to ask for a permission (who knows what it implies) to use it? When I don't know where Lutz is and how long he's going to be around? I'd rather use good old /bin/sh + homegrown cruft for my scripting needs, than assume liability. With this, the future of newLISP is close to nil, so enjoy it while it lasts. Thank you.

newdep

Looks like you have been pissing in your beer...
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

scratchy

meaning?

pjot

Meaning you are having your period.

scratchy

is that what you do on your period?

nigelbrown

if I have to ask for a permission (who knows what it implies) to use it?

You only need to ask to obtain it under conitions different from the GPL.

Take it as GPL and it's yours clear.

Nigel

HPW

More freedom as with GNU GPL?

When I don't know where Lutz is and how long he's going to be around?

You get the full source and free tools to compile it yourself!

That is more than you get from every commercial vendor.
Hans-Peter

Lutz

Welcome to the group Scratchy, you certainly can do anythying you do in newLISP with other scripting tools, like sh, awk and many other utilitities. But just like people eat different flavors or ice cream or drive different brands of cars they like to use different tools.

newLISP as a LISP addresses a crowd of people who love to express there ideas in LISP syntax (S-expreessions) and think that they can get their work done quicker and more enjoyable this way. There are also a lot of things in newLISP, which are build right in to it, so they work faster and seamless together.

As for the GPL and myself not beeing around for long, I think that the GPL ensures more than non OpenSource licenses that a project lives for a long time. If I am not there anymore, somebody will pick it up and continue the work. That has happend to many projects.

newLISP has a bright future, because it fills a real need a growing number of enthusiastic users on this board proove it.

I hope you will stay with us Scratchy and give newLISP a second look.

Lutz