Compiling on Tru64Unix 4.0f

Started by pjot, May 11, 2005, 09:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjot

Maybe it has to do with those pointer sizes again? I see that a 'allocMemory' returns a void pointer (8 bytes), but in the 'p_array' function (nl-list.c) the allocMemory is casted to UINT, which is 4 bytes.

Still that does not illuminate why 1-dimensional arrays with a large size can be created. Also many other newLisp functions should crash, which is not happening. Indeed it must be something else then.

This works:

(set 'a (array 3))

This crashes:

(set 'a (array 4))

Also I found the Compaq C Programmers Guide online:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/dtk/Compaq_C_Compiler/doc/lrm/DOCU0040.HTM">http://h30097.www3.hp.com/dtk/Compaq_C_ ... CU0040.HTM">http://h30097.www3.hp.com/dtk/Compaq_C_Compiler/doc/lrm/DOCU0040.HTM

Peter

Lutz

May be memory is segmented, how is it wiht larger strings?

(dup "A" 1000000)

or

(read-file "biggerfile.txt")

That would also force a bigger contiguos memory area to be taken.

Lutz

newdep

Yoooo Pjot, some addons...

(dup "a" 10000)

does not show anything..

where (dup "a" 2047) is the maximum that works..

(read-file "core")  does work though i did not test it upto the

complete size of 45948928 bytes over telnet ;-)

Norman.
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

Lutz

May be the memory is segmented in 2k increments somehow? I will have a look into the Compaq tru64 docs this weekend.

Lutz

newdep

Lets check that...

Pjot what does the /etc/sysconfigtab show up with?

and drop a vmstat output..

Norman.

pjot

VMstat:

Virtual Memory Statistics: (pagesize = 8192)

procs    memory         pages                          intr        cpu

r  w  u  act  free wire fault cow zero react pin pout  in  sy  cs  us  sy  id

3 348 32   46K 6641  10K   7M   1M   3M 8812   1M 6152   1  7K  2K   0   1  99

The sysconfigtab shows, next to the possible hardware drivers, many tuning options which I cannot paste here; it's just too much info.

Instead, I will try find out the memory entry's first and paste it later.

pjot

It's the variable MAX_STRING in 'newlisp.h' which is bothering us. This variable was put to 2048.

The arrays work now. The newLisp binary survives all tests in 'qa_dot'.

Peter

Lutz

That doesn't make sense to me at all :)

MAX_STRING is not used in any array code. If that would be a limitation than big arrays or big dup's wouldn't work on Linux/UNIX/Win32. But again it is not used in any array or dup code. Do a grep MAX_STRING and you will see.

Lutz

pjot

If MAX_STRING is higher than 2048 then newlisp.c calls 'vasprintf' with variadic args. However, if 'vsnprintf' fails then it returns a '-1' in Tru64. This situation is only defined in your code for MinGW.

Just uploaded the last changes, see the PM.

Peter

Lutz

Yes, the return value for vsnprintf() has to be checked on any port and even between different GCC's there me be a difference. Now I remember, that it gave me a lot of headache too when moving to MinGW. Returning -1 instead of the used size is the 'older' style of vsprintf(), but still used by MinGW and as you found out in true64.

Lutz

Lutz

Looks like we have a working true64 port passing all tests! Thanks to Peter for all the hours he has put into this.

Lutz

newdep

Yups! many thanks for a running Tru64 Newlisp.. Greeeat enhancement!

Norman.

pjot

Some more testing on Tru64Unix 5.1B (so not 5.1A) revealed a couple of minor issues.

1) The following warning during compiletime:

cc: Warning: nl-sock.c, line 655: In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value "&remote_sin_len" is "unsigned int", which is not compatible with "unsigned long". (ptrmismatch)

(struct sockaddr *)&remote_sin, &remote_sin_len);

----------------------------------------^

The variable 'remote_sin_len' should be a 'long' instead of an 'int'. I am not sure how serious this is, but it can easily be solved with a macro. It is strange that Tru64Unix 4.0 never complained about this.

So what do you think, change this?

2) Other not-serious compilewarnings:

cc: Warning: nl-web.c, line 360: In this statement, the referenced type of the pointer value "(char ...)0" is "short pointer to char", which is not compatible with "long pointer to char". (ptrmismatch)

while((size = strtoul(buff, (char**)0, 16)) > 0)

------------------------------------^

There are a couple of these, regarding the (char **)0. But if small or long pointer, since it is a reference to a '0', it looks unimportant to me.

3) The tests (test-exec) and (test-process) fail because the part for Win32 is executed, which assumes that a file is found in the current directory. On my account on the other machines the current path is in my $PATH, but this is not common to Unix. So these tests must be changed for (opsys=9):

(if (and (> opsys 5)(< opsys 9)) (exec "newlisp exectest") (exec "./newlisp exectest"))

...and also...

(if (and (> opsys 5)(< opsys 9)) (process "newlisp processtest") (process "./newlisp processtest"))

Furthermore I will start hosting precompiled Tru64Unix binary's at my newLisp site - that's convenient for me, too. ;-)

Peter

Lutz

(struct sockaddr *)&remote_sin, &remote_sin_len);

remote_sin_len isn't used afterward so you can just declare it as 'unsigned long' previously in the function, which will not hurt the other compilers.

while((size = strtoul(buff, (char**)0, 16)) > 0)

------------------------------------^

can be changed to:

while((size = strtoul(buff, NULL, 16))

Lutz

pjot

Thanks Lutz!

By the way: I tested some obscure functions on Tru64 like '(get-url)' and the UDP multicast, and these ran fine. Good news!

Peter