Off topic: What web hosting do you like/recommend?

Started by rickyboy, May 29, 2008, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyboy

Hello everyone!

I am shopping for web hosting services and I'd like to get your opinions on any that you have used so far.  Personally, I'm looking for myself and a small group of customers to set up small sites (some with simple commerce capability, i.e. get charge card info securely, and to be able to grow more).  I'd like to get something that I could setup a Linux on, but I'd be OK too with a pre-installed OS by the hosting service.  But I have to have root access.

I know several people like Nearly Free Speech and at least Lutz has used Amazon EC2.  Please let me know how you like these services, or others I might have overlooked.

Thanks!  --Ricky
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

Jeff

I used to use nfshost.  It gives you a shell account, but there are some significant drawbacks.  Everything but PHP is as a cgi.  Accessing large files stored in the account from binary applications not stored on the same volume is incredibly slow.  Apart from that, the service and cost are excellent.

I currently use webfaction.  It's a good service, reliable, and inexpensive.  You have full access to your directories, and can install whatever you need.  You have access to cron and a control panel that can set up various web frameworks, databases, and web servers for your.
Jeff

=====

Old programmers don\'t die. They just parse on...

http://artfulcode.net\">Artful code

rickyboy

Jeff,  That's great -- thanks for the valuable info!  --Rick
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

Ryon

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by root access. Most web hosts will give you a shell, but full root priveleges would allow you to play around with all the other accounts hosted on your box, and you certainly wouldn't want them mucking around with yours! Ditto for loading your own OS. You'd have to get an expensive co-lo to get this feature.

The nLFC is hosted on Dreamhost, mainly because they're big enough to take care of problems, and because they're cheap. Drawbacks: They don't allow persistent processes or off-site DB access, and when another account on your box gets Slashdotted, you get Slashdotted too.

And BTW, I love some of our off-topic conversations. If Whatever Else isn't a good enough category for this sort of thing, then I'll make one up!
\"Give me a Kaypro 64 and a dial tone, and I can do anything!\"

rickyboy

Quote from: "Ryon"I'm not sure I understand what you mean by root access. Most web hosts will give you a shell, but full root priveleges would allow you to play around with all the other accounts hosted on your box, and you certainly wouldn't want them mucking around with yours! Ditto for loading your own OS. You'd have to get an expensive co-lo to get this feature.

As long as I can install and configure software, like the web server where you need more than just regular user privileges, then that will be sufficient for me.

Quote from: "Ryon"The nLFC is hosted on Dreamhost, mainly because they're big enough to take care of problems, and because they're cheap. Drawbacks: They don't allow persistent processes or off-site DB access, and when another account on your box gets Slashdotted, you get Slashdotted too.

Oh, interesting thought.  I never did think about /.-ing.

Quote from: "Ryon"And BTW, I love some of our off-topic conversations. If Whatever Else isn't a good enough category for this sort of thing, then I'll make one up!

I vote for that too! :-)

Thanks Ryon!
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

m35

Quote from: "Ryon"And BTW, I love some of our off-topic conversations. If Whatever Else isn't a good enough category for this sort of thing, then I'll make one up!

I like that we have a Windows and *nix sections, but there are many topics/questions that are cross-platform. I've never really felt that the "Whatever Else" section was a good place for cross-platform questions, but that's where I usually put them because I didn't see a better alternative.

Could we have another section for newLISP related cross-platform questions?

Jeff

Or maybe just merge them and anything that is platform-specific should have that mentioned in the message or subject.
Jeff

=====

Old programmers don\'t die. They just parse on...

http://artfulcode.net\">Artful code

cormullion

Presumably you're not wanting to run newLISP for CGI? (I bet you'd be equally happy working with Perl or PHP...:). In that case, you have more choice. I haven't encountered any disadvantages with nfshost yet. If your demands are modest, you'll find it good value - my newLISP-related blatherings since last November have cost me $3.

rickyboy

Quote from: "cormullion"Presumably you're not wanting to run newLISP for CGI? (I bet you'd be equally happy working with Perl or PHP...:). In that case, you have more choice. I haven't encountered any disadvantages with nfshost yet. If your demands are modest, you'll find it good value - my newLISP-related blatherings since last November have cost me $3.

Wow!  Three dollars for seven months of blathering!  You can't shake a stick at that!  :-)

Thanks, P!*

* "P" is your new hip hop moniker.  :-)
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

cormullion

Or just call me Monica. :) Haven't been slashdotted yet. And don't intend to be... But I gather it would cost me a one-off charge of around $10 - $20. It would be the shame that would hurt more.

Ryon

Actually, I DID run an early version of a newLISP server on Dreamhost a couple of years ago, and it worked just fine. The problem is that they do not allow persistent processes, and will nuke anything running for more than a few hours. Maybe you could do it as a cron job, if you don't need it 24/7.

I'll be glad to add or change any forum titles, but need a consensus before I make any changes. As for merging forums ... I'm way too lazy for that!
\"Give me a Kaypro 64 and a dial tone, and I can do anything!\"

rickyboy

Quote from: "Ryon"I'll be glad to add or change any forum titles, but need a consensus before I make any changes. As for merging forums ... I'm way too lazy for that!

What about having a blog aggregator (to read newLISP blog feeds and display) on the forum?  You can start with this blog feed: http://unbalanced-parentheses.nfshost.com/atom.cgi">//http://unbalanced-parentheses.nfshost.com/atom.cgi.
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

Tim Johnson

I've been with cniweb.net for 8 years. http://www.cniweb.net">//http://www.cniweb.net I've used other hosting services

before and since ( such as with customers of mine )

cniweb is the best. They are a small company and they give you hands

on service. Often, directly by the owner, who is extremely proficient in

all issues, including programming. They will do anything - install anything

for you that is safe and professional. I.E. they are not a "one-size" fits

all, lamp-only "server factory". I've also noted that their personnel has

not change significantly since I've known them.

They offer windows, linux and sun servers at least. And I think they

would tailor their services to your needs. And they lease servers as

well. There you would have full ssh access, etc...

They've hosted rebol since 2001, speaking of "non-lamp systems",

and I bet they have already installed newlisp, since I know the owner

is interested in it.

MTCW

tim
Programmer since 1987. Unix environment.

rickyboy

Thanks, Tim!  I'll check it out.  BTW, a fellow Alaskan?
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

rickyboy

Quote from: "rickyboy"Thanks, Tim!  I'll check it out.  BTW, a fellow Alaskan?

I see from the website that they are closer to Lutz (i.e. in Florida).
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)