AutoComplete

Started by anemo, April 10, 2011, 08:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anemo

So I've been playing around with newlisp for a while now(slowly but surely), using the editor that comes with the installer.

And I've come to miss auto-complete a lot.   Also currently using windows, some Linux stuff would be nice as well(but isn't as immediate of a concern).

cormullion

Nothing  wrong with using the newLISP editor. It's an impressive piece of newLISP programming. But using another editor is pretty common, and there are plenty to choose from. I think most of the people that use newLISP use another editor. It makes sense, too, if you're going to be using various languages, HTML, etc, to master a general purpose text editor.

It's often possible to make a text editor do autocompletion.

You might want to try something like vim. It's not too bad to learn (since you need to learn only those commands that you find useful), and it's easy to find help on virtually any topic. I believe that autocompletion is more or less available by default for words that are in the current file (such as the names of those incredibly long variables you might be using). You can also specify dictionary files that allow vim to complete what you type as language keywords. I suspect that there are more options and possibilities for autocompletion in vim than there are megabytes of RAM on your computer...