can we ungetc ?

Started by nigelbrown, December 22, 2003, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigelbrown

In C programming sometimes to look ahead at the next file character a ch=getc(infile) is done and then if the logic requires that ch not be handled now a ungetc( ch, infile) is used to put the char back for later processing.

How feasible would it be to have the same facility available for (read-char

viz (unread-char ? I tried (write-char back into a file opened as update but that doesn't work. viz

> (set 'aFile (open "myfile.ext" "u"))

> (setq ch (read-char aFile))

> (write-char aFile ch)

> (setq ch (read-char aFile))

>

If it's not easy at the C source level for newlisp I'll try a getc & ungetc with defines or macros (anybody got such functions?).

I want getc/ungetc for a fairly 'no thinking please' C to newlisp port of a C program.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel

nigelbrown

PS I believe Common Lisp has peek-char to let you look 1 char ahead into a stream - saves doing get then unget - instead doing a peek then a get if needed.

Nigel

Lutz

Some 'unread-char' function is easy to implement, I will put it on the list.

BTW, I did the commandline switch to limit memory usage, that will be in the next development version.

Lutz

nigelbrown

Thanks for the memories

usage check

Nigel

Lutz

this is the definition of an 'unread-char':

(define (unread-char fle) (seek fle (- (seek fle) 1)))

it returns the decremented file position and is surprisingly fast compared with the 'read-char' on a 1.4Ghz Celeron and WinXP:

read-char => 1.8 micro seconds

unread-char => 2.6 micro seconds

Note, that the function will wrap around to the end of the file when the beginning (position 0) is reached.

Lutz