READLINE in linux vs linux_utf8

Started by nigelbrown, November 17, 2005, 12:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigelbrown

Hi Lutz,

re rpm building:

Building rpms for 8.7.1 I noted that the makefile for linux disables readline by default viz:

# makefile for newLISP v. 8.x.x on LINUX

#

# Note, that readline support may require different libraries on different OSs

#

OBJS = newlisp.o nl-symbol.o nl-math.o nl-list.o nl-liststr.o nl-string.o nl-filesys.o

nl-sock.o nl-import.o nl-xml.o nl-web.o nl-matrix.o nl-debug.o pcre.o

#CFLAGS = -Wall -pedantic -Wno-uninitialized -c -O2 -g -DREADLINE -DLINUX

CFLAGS = -Wall -pedantic -Wno-uninitialized -c -O2 -g -DLINUX

CC = gcc

whereas the makefile for linux_utf8 has it enabled by default viz:

# makefile for newLISP v. 8.x.x on LINUX with UTF-8 support

#

# Note, that readline support may require different libraries on different OSs

#

OBJS = newlisp.o nl-symbol.o nl-math.o nl-list.o nl-liststr.o nl-string.o nl-filesys.o

nl-sock.o nl-import.o nl-xml.o nl-web.o nl-matrix.o nl-debug.o nl-utf8.o pcre.o

CFLAGS = -Wall -pedantic -Wno-uninitialized -c -O2 -g -DREADLINE -DSUPPORT_UTF8 -DLINUX

CC = gcc

Lutz - how would you like the rpms for download done regarding READLINE?

Note also the needed changes re the spec files:

the .spec files now live in /util instead of /doc so had to change Makefile to

reflect this for rpm and rpm_utf8 sections

new file newlisp/gmp.lsp is not in file list of .spec files so had to add to

.spec file of rpm and utf8 rpm (get warning during rpm build otherwise)

Regards

Nigel

Lutz

(1) readline: if the RPM install handles the additional libreadline requirement (which it should) than we should make RPM versions with readline. Libreadline is on all distribution install disks, but not always included in a standard install. Do everything geared toward Mandriva (is this the distribution you are using?) I think most Linux use the same libreadline from the GNU project.

(2) Makefile and spec files: I would like to take the RPM stuff out of the Makefile. Just make a script to your liking and send it with the changed spec files and it can all go into the util directory in the next version.

Thanks so much for helping with this

Lutz

nigelbrown

Hi Lutz,

1)

I'll activate READLINE for the 'make linux'.

2)

Will do.

As the rpm build is in a makefile already I'd prefer to keep a separate makefile for the rpm build  but I'll look at what would work best and what path other projects have gone down.

(edit - on looking around it seems a script is the way to go)

Yes I do the make on Mandriva (nee Mandrake).

I'm using Mandriva 2005LE as as of a few days ago the version 2006 iso set is not yet available for public download.

I'm personally using Suse Linux 10 day to day now as it handles my wireless network without hassles so my Mandriva 2005LE is installed especially for newLisp makes. I may return to Mandriva full time if 2006 handles my wireless card as well as Suse 10 so I'm keen to keep the Mandriva rpm building going.

Regards

Nigel