Install & live cd

Started by nigelbrown, August 08, 2004, 05:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutz

newlisp-tk.config goes into $HOME, newlisp-tk/Linux when starting up will alweays look for it in the home directory of the user who started it.

I just finished integrating your new install scripts and renamed to install_home and uninstall_home after I realized that this feature is not only useful for live CD installation but for a lot of useres on Linux/UNIX machines without root access.

Lutz

ps: thanks rounding suggestion in  'sleep'

nigelbrown

Remember I'd not added the newlisp-tk.config lines to those scripts yet

install addition is probably

-install -m 644 newlisp-tk/newlisp-tk.config.home $(HOME)/newlisp-tk.config

and for uninstall if you want to remove config

-rm  $(HOME)/newlisp-tk.config

Nigel

nigelbrown

I've downloaded 8.1.2 and tries some live CDs.

My comments are

For the distros without readline could we have a make linux_noreadline so a newbie doesn't

need to edit makefile - perhaps the make linux could detect absence of readline and

do it automatically?

For the distros without gcc (eg DSL Damn Small Linux, Mandrake Move) could there be

the static compile available to install to home?

Some distros don't have Mozilla so newlisp-tk.config needs editing - could this

be detected by the install?

If distro has gcc, readline, and Mozilla all is fine.

I'll do a bit of a table on which distro has what soon.

Nigel

PS So far I've tried live CDs of DSL, Mandrake Move, ClusterKnoppix, Quantian, Knoppix, Gnoppix, & Dynebolic. I'll get some less Knoppix based offerings.

Lutz

Pretty much everything could be done with more complex makefiles, but makefiles get unreadable and things get very time consuming to maintain and test.  Because of the simple makefile, many people could resolve build problems themselves. The INSTALL file and the headers of the makefiles talks about READLINE and NANOSLEEP.

At one point I thought to go with autoconf and configure, but it turns out you still have to test everything and customize to make sure it works,

I will stay with the simple makefiles and try to document, what has to be changed.

Having a table, of what works where would be a great help for users to address build problems.

For the browser configuration, perhaps somethng can be added to the GUI itself, so the browser for help can be configured from inside the GUI, just like fonts and sizes. What is your experience with browsers? which once are installed typically? Should I put Konqueror as a default  con Linux?

Lutz