64-bit milestone development release 8.9.7

Started by Lutz, August 25, 2006, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutz

This is a milestone development release leading into the v.9.0 series of newLISP releases.

All integer arithmetic using the +,-,*,/,%,>>,<<,&,|,^ operators is now done in 64 bit. Many built-in functions like 'dotimes', 'factor', 'for', the new 'gcd','seek' and others now can take 64-bit size arguments additionally to the floats which where limiting precision to 52 bits.

Besides 64-bit handling some functions have benefitted in speed when running on CPUs with 64-bit registers like the PPC and many others from AMD and Intel, i.e. the function 'factor' about 5x on G4 PPC/OS X, or 2x on an Intel Celeron/MinGW. The overall size of the newLISP executable has only increased by about 3-4 % (part of this due to the new 'uuid' and 'gcd')

For files and detailed change notes see: http://newlisp.org/downloads/development/">http://newlisp.org/downloads/development/

Lutz

pjot

This 8.9.7 release runs out-of-the-box in Tru64Unix as well. Both Tru64 4.x and Tru64 5.x compile without problems. Also I found a new, fresh machine running 5.x, and following my own instructions :-)  newLisp compiled straight away.

All tests in 'qa-dot', and all my Unix-based console programs as well as Norman's, run in Tru64Unix without any modifications. Impressive!!

Thanks for this important milestone!

Peter

newdep

Also here..compilation for OS/2 without problems...

I still need to test the enhancements... ;-)

Thanks lutz..!
-- (define? (Cornflakes))

cormullion

Can you explain a bit more about find-all? What's the third option doing - is it like replace? Having trouble with statements like this:

(println (find-all {f*} "fee fi fo fum" (println $0) 0) )

(println (find-all {f*} "fee fi fo fum"))

Lutz

What you see is 'find-all' going into a loop on your example.

Your pattern expression {f*} says "match zero, one or more f", so it effectively can match "nothing". At this moment I do not know if this can be avoided by newLISP or PCRE or if it is like doing: (while true), which simply should be avoided ;)

You probably wanted to say:

(find-all {fw+} "fe fi fo fum")
=>("fe " "fi " "fo " "fum")

an 'f' followed by one or more word characters.

The third parameter does something to the expressions found, before assembling them in the list returned:

(find-all {fw+} "fe fi fo fum" (title-case $0))
=>("Fe" "Fi" "Fo" "Fum")

and you could mark subexpressions with parenthesis:

(find-all {(f)(w+)} "fe fi fo fum" (append $2 $1))
=> ("ef" "if" "of" "umf")

Lutz

cormullion

Thanks. I like the idea of find-all. Though it's interesting that you've made it different from replace, and regular expressions are the default. So i can't do the following, which seems an obvious parallel:

(println (replace "*m" "i learn by *making *mistakes" "m"))
;-> i learn by making mistakes
(println (find-all "*m" "i learn by *making *mistakes"))
;-> expecting  ("*m" "*m") but get regex error

member is more consistent, I think:

(println (member "*m" "i learn by *making *mistakes" ))
;-> *making *mistakes     not regex by default
(println (member "m+" "i learn by *making *mistakes" 0))
;-> making *mistakes

but I think I thought it wasn't before...

For the next version of my intro document, I'm going to put more about these functions in...! So expect more questions... :-)

Lutz

You can baskslash the *:

(find-all "\*m" "i learn by *making *mistakes")
=> ("*m" "*m")

On the above example you also see the reason why 'find-all' always will want a regular expression. If not you will just end up with a list where all members are the same. The purpose of 'find-all' is always to find substrings with certain characteristics, but different. The optional <expr> parameter then can be used to manipulate subexpressions in the found pattern.

Lutz

ps: I deleted my earlier post about this because it was logically flawed

Dmi

Lutz!

Is there any plans to implemnt something like "ref-all", which will return coordinates for all items, not only the first one?

The tasks related to XML or LDAP (LDIF parsing) will be simpler with it.
WBR, Dmi

Lutz

Others have also asked for this and the idea came to me too, I will put it on my to-do list.

Lutz

cormullion

Quote from: "Lutz"
ps: I deleted my earlier post about this because it was logically flawed

:-) I did read it, though...

How about calling it regex-all?