cgi again

Started by jazper, January 16, 2013, 02:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazper

I have never got the example in the User Guide to work.  I can get it to list a result set if I manually insert rows into the Elements Sqlite3 database, but nothing gets written via code.  Lately, I have been basing an attempt to write to a simple user, email database, from a webform.  This is what I wrote: it's an adaptation of a "quick and dirty" script that someone posted to talk to a sqlite3 database.
#!/usr/bin/newlisp
;;; to create table, used this -- CREATE TABLE UsrTbl(Id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, UserName TEXT, UserEmail TEXT)

(print "Content-type: text/htmln")
(load (append (env "NEWLISPDIR") "\modules\cgi.lsp"))
(load (append (env "NEWLISPDIR") "\modules\sqlite3.lsp"))

(println
[text]
<br>
<form action="UPDTDB2.cgi" method="POST">
<pre>
User name:<input type="text" name="username"><br>
Email    :<input type="text" name="useremail"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Go">
</pre>
</form>
<br>
[/text])

(define (rslt 'sql-text)
(set 'sqlarray (sql3:sql sql-text))    ; results of query
(if sqlarray
(map println sqlarray)
(println (sql3:error) " query problem ")))

(define (insrt 'sql-text)
(set 'qry (sql3:sql sql-text))
(if qry
(println "ok")
(println (sql3:error))))

(set 'database "JCDB.db")
(sql3:open database)

(println {<br>})
(set 'name (CGI:get "UserName"))
(set 'email (CGI:get "UserEmail"))
(set 'sqlstr (string "INSERT INTO usrtbl VALUES('','" name "','" email "');" ))
(insrt sqlstr)

(println {<br>Hit the [back] button on your browser to got back<br>})

(exit)

;;; eof ;;

Once again, it list things that I put in manually, but will not insert values.  Can anyone spot what I am doing wrong?  No error message is posted.

bairui

Try:

#!/usr/bin/newlisp
;;; to create table, used this -- CREATE TABLE UsrTbl(Id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, UserName TEXT, UserEmail TEXT)

(module "cgi.lsp")
(module "sqlite3.lsp")

(println
 [text]
 <br>
 <pre>
 User name:<input type="text" name="UserName"><br>
 Email    :<input type="text" name="UserEmail"><br>
 </pre>
 </form>
 <br>
 [/text])

(define (rslt sql-text)
 (if sqlarray
  (map println sqlarray)

(define (insrt sql-text)
 (if qry
  (println "ok")

(println {<br>})
  (set 'sqlstr (string "INSERT INTO UsrTbl VALUES(NULL,'" name "','" email "');" ))
(insrt sqlstr)

(exit)

;;; eof ;;

I am not familiar enough with either newLISP or cgi to claim which of the small changes I made were absolutely necessary versus the ones which merely felt right stylistically. No doubt Cormullion or RickyBoy will be along soon to show us what real style looks like. :-) I for one will have my popcorn ready for that too.

jazper

Thanks for your input.  I will give those changes a try, and report back. I too, am making a note to buy some popcorn ...

jazper

Well, Bairui, what can I say?  You nailed my funnies there, and it works fine now.  Apart from removing the single quote where I had a symbol as an argument, you also used a NULL for the AUTOINCREMENT.  In the past, I have successfully used an empty string, but NULLS as well.  I just forgot.  Did you make any other changes?  The above is all I saw.

Thanks so much.  With this as a barebones, I can go forward.  Much appreciated.

Cheers!

rickyboy

I'm not a CGI expert either, but I think those CGI parameters are indeed case sensitive.

Cormullion could tell you off the top of his head, though.

And http://tinypic.com/r/2e5qg5z/3">put your popcorn away -- that code looks good to me!  :))
(λx. x x) (λx. x x)

cormullion

You're right, there is a small error in the http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introduction_to_newLISP/More_examples#Using_a_SQLite_database">sqlite example on Wikibooks - the A% near the end should have single quotes... Now fixed.

Honestly I know very little about CGI or Sqlite, , other than my clumsy scribblings on the subject (https://newlisper.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/a-newlisp-cgi-web-page-in-10-easy-steps/">//https://newlisper.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/a-newlisp-cgi-web-page-in-10-easy-steps/). I'm sure that getting all the punctuation and case right is half the battle...

bairui

o_O what am I gonna do with all this popcorn?!

Thanks, RickyBoy & Cormullion - it was the case sensitivity issues I was unsure about. I was fairly sure that the NULL was necessary - it seemed so in standalone tests of sqlite3.lsp. I don't think I made any other changes, jazper, apart from the aesthetic (load ...) -> (module "...").

FWIW, I tested sqlite3.lsp in the console and a standalone script before introducing the cgi layer. Primarily I did this because I always like to limit the number of variables when testing/fixing something, but a very real secondary in this case was my utter lack of cgi experience.

Mmm... popcorn...

jazper

Thanks again, Bairui.  You did spot some other errors:  they were corrected in the code you posted.  I had used (single quoted) symbols for arguments when defining the two queries "insrt" and "rslt".  The modules had been working the way I loaded them before, but your code looks so much better.  It was those and the NULL that made the difference, though I tested that with "null" lower case, which also worked.

Speaking about the "Elements" example (thanks to Cormullion for the latter fix) I never get even as far as the "like: query with ' A% ' as mentioned.  I can't get the elements to load into Sqlite3, so the question of using queries never arises.  

I will give that another try, though.  Now that I have had a rest, I may spot something I have done wrong.  So far, I have actually copied the code in verbatim, and re-checked a hundred times.  But, a slip can happen.

jazper

Thanks too, to RickyBoy.  Popcorn is back in the cupboard, waiting for next time

xytroxon

Quote from: "bairui"Try:

#!/usr/bin/newlisp

(module "cgi.lsp")
(module "sqlite3.lsp")

(println
 [text]
 <br>
 <pre>
 User name:<input type="text" name="UserName"><br>
 Email    :<input type="text" name="UserEmail"><br>
 </pre>
 </form>
 <br>
 [/text])

(define (rslt sql-text)
 (if sqlarray
  (map println sqlarray)

(define (insrt sql-text)
 (if qry
  (println "ok")

(println {<br>})
  (set 'sqlstr (string "INSERT INTO UsrTbl VALUES(NULL,'" name "','" email "');" ))
(insrt sqlstr)

(exit)

;;; eof ;;

This code hangs up when run from Win 7 command line.

-- xytroxon
\"Many computers can print only capital letters, so we shall not use lowercase letters.\"

-- Let\'s Talk Lisp (c) 1976

cormullion

There might be a log option you can use with the http server option. Does this help?

xytroxon

Okay, I've isolated the problem to the cgi.lsp module.

I use CGI:url-translate in an old program that now hangs up too.

-- xytroxon
\"Many computers can print only capital letters, so we shall not use lowercase letters.\"

xytroxon

Okay, it's in the way cgi.lsp initializes itself...

Since this code was NOT being run from a server, (read-line) is waiting for input that never arrives.

; get POST data if present, use CONTENT_LENGTH variable
; if available
    (begin
        (set 'inline (read-line))
        (when inline
        (set 'params (get-vars inline)))
    )

-- xytroxon