Translation help needed

Started by Lutz, May 20, 2008, 07:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutz

Up to now only the newLISP-GS editor handled UTF-8 (except for find and replace). In the upcoming development version 9.3.13 all newLISP-GS widgets handle UTF-8 for text entry, find/replace, setter, getter functions and display.

Currently only the Mac OS X binary installer installs a UTF-8 version by default, the Win32 version is shipped non-UTF-8 as most European countries use ISO-8859 codepages for Latin, Cyrillic, Arabic, Baltic, Greek, Hebrew and Turkish. But the changes should also work in Win32 when running newLISP-GS together with a UTF-8 enabled version of newLISP.

For testing and demoing with the file widgets-demo.lsp (part of all installers) I need the translations of the following strings. I wonder if any of the people on this board can help translating. I think it is possible to post these on this discussion board, which seem to accept UTF-8.

Strings to translate:

"Widgets Demo"

"buttons"

"button"

"radio button"

"check box"

"press"

"combox-box and list-box"

"one"

"two"

"three"

"first entry"

"second entry"

"third entry"

"fourth entry"

"fifth entry"

"sixth entry"

"seventh entry"

"eight entry"

"double-click me"

"text-field and text-area"

"get text field"

"get text area"

"slider, progress-bar and scroll-pane"

"horizontal"

"A Dialog Window"

"Choose a color"

"A Message"

"Enjoy GUI server"

"yes"

"no"

Any of the following languages:

Arabic *

Chinese

Farsi *

Greek *

Hebrew *

Hindi

Japanese

Korean

Russian *

Tamil

Thai *

Turkish *

Or any other language using non-latin characters. For some of these I have not figured out yet how to enable them in Java (all without *), but all of them seem to work on  Mac OS X (tested from the qa-utf8 file in the source distribution). Translations of languages without * should work on Java installations in the respective countries Java platforms.

Thanks for helping

Lutz

ps: I figured out how to make fonts with * work. Only the font used in the editor has to be changes. Not all fonts come with the bigger Asian character sets.

lithper

Quote from: "Lutz"
Strings to translate:

"Widgets Demo" демо ГУИ-элементов

"buttons" кнопки

"button" кнопка

"radio button" выбрать

"check box" отметить

"press" нажать

"combox-box and list-box" комбо и списки

"one" один

"two" два

"three" три

"first entry" первое

"second entry" второе

"third entry" третье

"fourth entry" четвертое

"fifth entry" пятое

"sixth entry"  шестое

"seventh entry" седьмое

"eight entry" восьмое

"double-click me" щелкнуть дважды -- /typo corrected here/

"text-field and text-area" текстовое поле и текстовый ввод

"get text field" поле "получить текст"

"get text area" "получить текст"

"slider, progress-bar and scroll-pane"

"horizontal" горизонтальный

"A Dialog Window" окно-диалог

"Choose a color"  выберите цвет

"A Message" сообщение

"Enjoy GUI server" приятного пользования ГУИ-сервером

"yes" да

"no" нет

Lutz

..however one needs to know the context in which these labels are going to be used (I myself never tried the GUI server), as translation critically depends on it.

For example, instead of "check box" (a noun) I gave you "check it" , a verb phrase - which is appropriate on a web form near the element, but is wrong in a description text where the name of the element (rather than instruction to the user) is needed

lithper

"slider, progress-bar and scroll-pane" -- движок, индикатор загрузки, ??? (I have no idea what a scroll pane is)

Lutz

Thank you very much Lithper, here the result:

http://www.newlisp.org/widgets-demo-ru.png">http://www.newlisp.org/widgets-demo-ru.png

cormullion

Looks good Lutz! I'm pleased to see Unicode reaching more corners of  newLISP-GS.

lithper

Lutz, looks OK on that demo screen

..but there's one small typo - "щелкнуть дважды" (not "щекнуть", L letter is missing, i.e. the cyrillic "л ллллллллллл")

Lutz

Only the font used in the editor has to be changed to make fonts marked with * in my previous post work. Not all fonts installed come with the larger Asian character sets. But selecting a different font with the View/Font faces option will make those characters visible in many fonts.

Here an update of the Russian sample with Lithper's correction and some other strings added:

http://www.newlisp.org/widgets-demo-ru.png">http://www.newlisp.org/widgets-demo-ru.png

Who can do one of the Asian or Middle Eastern translations?